- Brush up your grammar and punctuation
- Client-focused legal writing
- Contract law basics for business
- Effective business writing
- Effective legal drafting
- Effective minute-taking
- High-impact emails
- Introduction to English contract law for civil lawyers
- One-to-one coaching services
- Persuasive proposals: Writing to win
- Principles of time recording
- Report writing
- User-friendly legal advice
- Writing for publication
Paulina Spencer, in-house solicitor"... Cathy is a spectacular lecturer and a fantastic teacher. Her exercises are both engaging and thought-provoking sessions as it has exposed me to new tools and insightful and ways of looking at language. Cathy's tips are insightful and relevant, and she often employs memorable and useful examples. Highly recommended ... "
Yinsey Wang, financial services associate
Cathy Wilcox Training offers training, consultancy and plain language editing services to lawyers and other professionals in the UK and worldwide. We specialise in all forms of written communication. Our clients include English and international law firms, company legal teams and other businesses including patent attorneys, banks and global corporations. For details of the courses on offer, click on the links on the left, or choose one of the options at the top. Learn more about us
All training needs to enhance the success of your business. Our courses aim to:
- improve your staff’s performance so that they produce written work of a higher quality, with less supervision
- reduce your and your clients' legal risk by clarifying areas that might otherwise lead to claims or contractual disputes
- make your clients and other readers happier because your documents are clearer and easier to read, and more focused on their needs.
We tailor our courses to suit your needs and your business’s preferred approach to learning. We can make courses longer or shorter, focus them on a particular team and use your standard documents in exercises. If you’d like the participants to do pre- or post-course work, that’s no problem. We’re happy to travel to you, wherever you are.
We regularly work one to one with individuals on all our areas of expertise, often (but not necessarily) as a follow-up to a course. We can, for example, work with people to develop their writing or drafting style. We also advise organisations on changing their writing culture and on bringing in a plain language policy. Learn more about our coaching services.
We offer plain language editing services at reasonable rates for businesses wanting their external materials to give a consistent message. Learn more about our editing services.